ASTM A179 (SA179) standard specification covers seamless cold drawn low carbon steel pipe, for tubular heat exchanger, condensers and other similar heat transfer equipment. The ASTM A179 tube covers the OD from 1/8" to 3", which is 3.2mm to 76.2mm. Other diameters and thickness smaller than the specified sizes also applicable to this standard, but mechanical properties is not applicable for the size smaller than 1/8" and 3.2mm, or thickness smaller than 0.015 inch and 0.4mm. In most cases, ASTM A179 replaces ASTM A178 in China.
- Manufacture: tubes shall be made by the seamless process and shall be cold drawn.
- Heat Treatment: tubes shall be heat treated after the final cold draw pass at a temperature of 1200°F [650°C] or higher.
- Delivery Condition: pickling, nitrogen protection surface or bright annealing. Some south korea mills buy mother tubes and only do bright annealing heat treatment in their country, because pickling is a must, but many countries don't allow this process. And nitrogen protection is now popular in China, the surface is similar bright apperance, but low cost.
- Inspection & Test: chemistry composition analysis, tensile test, flattening test, flaring test, hardness test, NDT, surface inspection and dimension check.
- Optional Test: flange test.
ASTM Q179/SA179 TUBES MECHANICAL PROPERTIES
ASTM Q179/SA179 TUBES CHEMICAL COMPOSITION
Testing Requirements for seamless ASTM Q179/SA179 carbon steel pipe
Inspection test pressures produce a stress in the pipe wall equal to 60% of specified minimum yield strength (SMYS) at room temperature. Maximum pressures are not to exceed 2,500 psi for NPS 3 and under, and 2,800 psi for the larger sizes. Pressure is maintained for no less than 5 seconds.
Tensile Test: Either transverse or longitudinal are acceptable for NPS 8 and larger
Tensile tests smaller than NPS 8: Longitudinal testing only
Flattening Test: NPS 2 and larger
Bending Test (cold): NPS 2 and under
MATERIAL SPECIFICATION REQUIREMENTS FOR A SPECIFIC ORDER
- When we place a specific order for SA 179 tubing, we should include below material specifications:
- Standard and the name of material: ASTM A179 / ASME SA 179 seamless tubes.
- Manufacturing types in cold drawn
- Quantity in meters, feet, or pieces.
- Size including Diameters and minimum wall thickness
- Length per pieces (Random or fixed length shall be specified)
- Chemical composition (optional)
CARBON STEEL PIPE STANDARD AND GRADES(SEAMLESS AND WELDED)
- ASTM A106 Gr. B in Seamless (Differences between ASTM A106 and A53 pipe)
- ASTM A53 Gr. A, B in Seamless, Welded ERW, and Zinc coated, hot-dipped galvanized steel pipe
- ASTM A179 Gr. C in Seamless (For seamless cold drawn low carbon steel heat-exchanger and condenser tubes)
- ASTM A192 (For seamless carbon steel boiler tubes for high-pressure service)
- ASTM A252 (For welded and seamless steel pipe piles)
- ASTM A333 GR. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 (For seamless and welded steel pipe for low-temperature service and other applications with required notch toughness)
- ASTM A134 and ASTM A135 (For electric resistance welded ERW steel pipes)
- API 5L Pipe, ISO 3183 / API 5L Gr. A, B, X42, X46, X52, X56, X60, X65, X70, X80 in seamless and welded (LSAW, SSAW, ERW) steel pipe, for petroleum and natural gas industries, steel pipe for pipeline transportation systems.
- DIN 2440 seamless and welded steel pipes applies to medium-weight tubes suitable for screwing. (DIN2444 Zinc coated steel tubes, for hot galvanizing)
- CSZ Z245 Seamless and ERW welded pipe (low-frequency electric welded pipe excluded), SAW steel pipe that intended for oil and gas pipeline systems.
- NBR 8261 Cold-Drawn, Cold-form, welded steel pipe, in circular cross-section, square or rectangular, applied to structural purposes.
- AWWA C-200 for steel water pipe
More standards material available in case special requirement