ASTM A106/ASME SA106 is the standard specification for seamless carbon steel pipe applied for high temperature services. It includes three grades A, B and C, and common use grade is A106 Grade B. It used in different industries not only for pipeline systems like oil and gas, water, mineral slurry transmission, but also for boiler, construction, structural purposes.
ASTM A106 Grade B pipe is equivalent to ASTM A53 Grade B and API 5L B on chemical position and mechanical properties, in general use carbon steel and yiled strength minimum 240 MPa, tensile strength 415 Mpa.
Standards referred for making ASTM A106 pipes
References ASTM standards:
1. ASTM A530/ A530M This is the standard specification for the common requirements of the carbon, and alloy pipes.
2. E213 The standard for the Ultrasonic Examination test
3. E309 The standard for the Eddy Current examination test
4. E381 The standard for the plan of Macroetch test, for the steel products the steel bars, steel billets, blooms, and forging steels.
5. E570 The standard for the test plan for the flux leakage test of the ferromagnetic steel pipe and pipeline products.
Related ASME Standard:
1. ASME B 36.10M The nominal sizes standard specification for the welded and seamless steel pipe.
2. Related Military standard:
3. MIL-STD-129 The standard for the markings of shipment and storage.
4. MIL-STD-163 The standard for the storage and shipment for the steel forging products.
Related federal standard:
1. Fed. Std. No. 123 The standard for the civil agencies for the marking and shipments.
2. Fed. Std. No. 183 The standard specification for the continuous ID marking for steel products
SSPC-SP 6 The standard specification for the surface.
ASTM A106 Grade B Seamless pipes
ASTM A106 standard specifications for the seamless steel pipe have three grades, that is ASTM A106 Gr. A, Grade. B and C, with the higher grade material, the strength performance is better.
The test methods for the ASTM A106 A, B, C are the flattening tests, hydrostatic test, nondestructive electric test, Ultrasonic test, eddy current test, flux leakage test, these test procedures shall be notified or discussed with client to confirm what kind of test will be applied.
ASTM A106 Grade B Pipe Dimensions Schedule
The standard covers pipe sizes in NPS (National Standard Straight) from 1/8 inch to 48 inch (10.3mm DN6 – 1219mm DN1200), meanwhile complied the nominal wall thickness of the standard ASME B 36.10M. For other sizes out of the ASME B 36.10M is also allowed to use this standard specification.
The materials used for ASTM A106 standard specification shall be applicable for bending, flanging, or the similar forming processes. In case the steel material is to be welded, the welding process supposed to be suitable for this grade of ASTM A106, and applicable for the high temperature working environment.
Where there is a superior or a higher grade for the ASTM A106 steel pipe is required, the standard has a optional specification for the supplementary requirements, for the pipes that used this standard. More over, these supplementary specification asked for the additional test, when the order is to be placed.
Chemical composition and Mechanical Strength
ASTM A106 Grade B and A pipe chemical composition
|Grade A||Grade B||Grade C|
|Carbon max. %||0.25||0.30*||0.35*|
|*Manganese %||0.27 to 0.93||*0.29 to 1.06||*0.29 to 1.06|
|Phosphorous, max. %||0.035||0.035||0.035|
|Sulfur, max. %||0.035||0.035||0.035|
|Chrome, max. %||0.4||0.4||0.4|
|Copper, max. %||0.4||0.4||0.4|
|Molybdenum, max. %||0.15||0.15||0.15|
|Nickel, max. %||0.4||0.4||0.4|
|*Unless otherwise specified by the purchaser, for each reduction of 0.01% below the specified carbon maximum, an increase of 0.06% manganese above the specified maximum will be permitted up to a maximum of 1.65% (1.35% for ASME SA106).|
ASTM A106 Equivalent
|Seamless||API 5L||Grade X52||EN 10208-2||L360NB|
|Seamless||ASTM A333||GRADE 6||EN 10216-4||P265NL|
|Welded||API 5L||Grade B||EN 10208-2||L245NB|
|Seamless||ASTM A106||GRADE B||EN 10216-2||P265GH|
|Seamless||API 5L||Grade B||EN 10208-2||L245NB|
|Welded||API 5L||Grade X52||EN 10208-2||L360NB|
ASTM A106 Standard Specification
ASTM A106 standard specification in PDF.